GET SAUCY PASSPORT SERIES – MOFONGO
Featuring Kagome Roasted Pineapple Salsa
Yields: 10 servings
Red Bean Pineapple Sauce:
2 tablespoons – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 – Small Bell Peppers, sliced
2 – Medium Onions, sliced
2 – Small Summer Squash (yellow or green)
½ cup – Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 15-ounce – Cans Red Beans, drained
1 quart – Kagome Roasted Pineapple Salsa
1 28-ounce – Can Diced Tomatoes, with juice
10 – Plantains, green
½ cup – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon – Adobo Seasoning
1 teaspoon – Salt
5 – Garlic Cloves, minced
- Prepare Kagome Roasted Pineapple Salsa by heating olive oil in a large pot. Add peppers, onions and squash, and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Add cilantro, beans, Kagome Roasted Pineapple Salsa, and diced tomatoes and heat until thick, bubbly and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Prepare Mofongo by peeling plantains and slicing into thin slices.
- Heat a small amount (just to keep from sticking) of the olive oil in a large skillet, sauté pan or grill.
- Place plantains in skillet, pan or grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes, just until plantain slices turn yellow but not golden brown. Turn with tongs and cook other side until golden. Add additional olive oil as needed while cooking.
- Place cooked plantain slices in a large bowl with adobo seasoning, salt and garlic. Mash until mixture creates a cohesive texture that holds together when pressed with hands, but still reveals pieces of cooked plantain.
- Place warm plantain mixture (Mofongo) in 10 small (1-cup) soufflé cups or jelly jars, and press mixture firmly to form round cakes.
- Invert one Mofongo cake onto each serving dish, and ladle over a serving of Kagome Roasted Pineapple Salsa (1 ¼ cups per serving). Garnish with additional cilantro. Serve immediately.